Sunday, May 29, 2011

The end of social interaction...

After having a conversation with my friend Jen I/we are beginning to think that texting and facebook is contributing to the end of human interaction at it's best.

I wonder whether we loose a connection with people because we SEE what is going on with their lives on Facebook or send them brief text messages therefore we don't bother ringing them to talk one on one anymore because we THINK we have communicated sufficiently.

Have we lost that ability to chat, talk, converse, debate, consult? Have we lost the ability to spell when the average conversation has "LOL" or a smilie face :) attached to it?  Or even "Hi HRU?" "I'm gr8"..  I mean what on earth does all that mean?  Am I a fuddy duddy?

Gone are the days from 20 years ago when if you wanted to know what a friend was doing and you couldn't afford the astronomical phone call the only option was to put pen to paper. 20 YEARS AGO! Where have those 20 years gone?  Long gone are the days where you had to wait three weeks for a person to send you a response to a question via snail mail. 

We live in an instantaneous world, even noodles are instantaneous these days.

Society has changed because we no longer give people out undivided attention. it devalues a person's worth.  So next time you think about one of your friends, pick up the phone and TALK to them.

I guess ironically I am choosing a form of social media to vent this..

Right, I'll get off my soap box now..

No comments:

Post a Comment