Sunday, March 6, 2011

Buses and I don't mix....

Well, there seems to be a few bus stories on my list.. God knows by... 

When reading this, please bare in mind that I moved to this city as a fresh faced 18 year old from the country.. The town I moved from had a population at the time of 1,700 or so.  The first building I worked in had a population of 6,000!  So, you could say that it was all a bit of a culture shock.

1. I once fell asleep on the 95 bus to the city.. I was supposed to get off BEFORE the bridge.. But ended up in the city.  I was only new to this grand city so really didn't have a clue how to get around just yet.

Meanwhile I am late for work, and I had to figure out which train to catch back to the North side..  Scary for an 18yr old country girl in the middle of a crazy city.

2. I once caught the wrong bus home...  I don't even know what bus it was, once again, young, nieve with obviously very bad eyesight.

The delightful bus driver and I were chatting, it was late at night.. He realised I was a country bumpkin fresh to the city who had absolutely no freakin clue.. So, against the rules, he drove me home..  How's that for customer service.. Thank you State Transit!

3. I was catching a bus from the Airport to the City early one Monday morning after being away for the weekend.  I was getting off the bus at Central Train Station. I was exiting from the rear carrying a lot of baggage, however clearly I exiting the bus fast enough for other passengers. During this process I was pushed from behind thus thrusting me forwards like a horse coming out of the starting post although, not quite as gracefully...

Needless to say, I was laying half on the foot path and half in the gutter with my body partially under the bus with luggage ahoy and passagers trampling all over me.  I wanted desperately to see the funny side of it, but all I could do was cry.

Not one miserable bastard attempted to help me up while I layed there half on the foot path and half under the bus.. It was then I realised it was a "dog eat dog" world and I was on the bottom of the food chain. It was time for this country gal to smarten up and grow some balls... So I picked myself up before the bus ran over me and I limped off with my head held high.
4,  This one isn't entirely bus orientated, but it does include a bus trip!
I am one of the many flights from the city to my home town in the country.  It's a Friday night.. I haven't been home for a while, so feeling a little home sick and missing my Mum's awesome cuddles.
So, plane goes to land in my home town, and due to minimal visabilty (damned fog) we cannot land.  Which means we have to travel onto the next airport which also happens to be a three (3) hour drive further down the coast.

So, the airline had to charter a rikkety old bus to transport us back up the coast.. Arriving at 12am, tired, emotional.. Once again, crying..

5. Apparently according to the list I lost my keys at the train station circa 1998.. Apparently there is a story behind this incident. That must be a suppressed memory, because I'll be damned if I can remember that!

Is it any wonder I don't do public transport these days..

PS.  My beautiful, talented and smart neice has informed me that I have missed a bus story!

6. In 1995 travelling on the bus up the coast to Sydney for a job interview with my pregnant sister.  I actually think that we got lost in the city at some point... I actually think this memory is rather suppressed.. Clearly I was traumatised lol.
Anyway...  Travelling on the bus on the way home, we sprung a leak... One of the inside rear tyres blew and from memory the bus driver couldn't change the tyre and we had to wait for AGES for another incompetent to come along... Needless to say, we were delayed getting home once again.

I'm so going to stick to trains, planes and sedans from now on.

1 comment:

  1. Was it you and Mum that were on the bus with the flat tyre and didn't tell the driver, then when he went to take it off, it was all shredded around in there?

    ReplyDelete