Saturday, September 4, 2010

Diseases, Diets and Doctors...

I was having a chat to an old friend yesterday who is good for an unbiased second opinion on shit that is going though my head.

During the conversation he was asking about my situation. During my rant (voicing whatever was in my head) I voiced something that I hadn't thought of which upset me.

I am a large figured woman.  I am certainly not a stick figure, I am more like the Dawn French's of the world. I have always been a big girl, I am used to it.  It's not like I line up at McDonalds and KFC every day, quite the opposite.. I eat lots of fruit and veg and lean meat.. Most "fast food" repulses me and is not really something that I crave.  Although I have been craving KFC, but I soon turn myself off it by thinking that it's cooked in the spit of a thousand camels and that soon turns me off.

So, the general consensus is when someone sees a fatty is that we are "unhealthy".  Because of course, if you look closely, we have oil seeping out of our pores and bits of meat stick between our teeth..

My point here is that, as a buxom woman I have walked into Doctors rooms and been judged.  How many times have I gone in to see the Doctor because I have a cold or need a pap smear and been told "you need to loose weight". No shit Sherlock!   However, what humors me is that these comments come from Doctors who have NEVER seen me before.  How do they know that I haven't just lost 20 kgs thanks to a strict diet?   Do they honestly think that I don't know that I am overweight?  Do I look/sound like I lick windows because I don't know the difference between right and wrong?  Seriously!

Fortunately for me I have a great GP now who even gives me a hug after a Pap Smear..

Sorry, I got off my point..  My point is..  Even though I am a fatty I am active, happy..  I have been told that I really should loose weight because I will be more healthy, I really should loose weight and be happier..  I really should loose weight so I can have kids.  Yup, yup, yup....

HOWEVER, why is it that in the last four months I have been ailed by two separate things that are NOT related to my weight issue?  If I had been diagnosed with diabetes, heart issues, fatty liver etc then I would understand that COULD be related to my weight.  But, no.. Cancer and MS certainly are not related to my weight issue. 

So, whilst I understand that I am over weight and need to drop kilo's because, lets face it, I could still have issues with diabetes etc maybe being overweight isn't so unhealthy after all.

Ok, I think I am over it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment