Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 3 - OHS issues

Ok, so it has become apparent that I need to set myself some more parameters.  I may need to write a bit of a ruling on what I can and cannot include in the $34.

As of yesterday, after a visit to the local Bunnings Store to pick up a 9 volt battery for the smoke detector, do a few burn outs in the carpark and put my car stereo on my most favorite "doof doof" CD - Queen's "I want to break free", there is debate for AND against it being included in the $34 budget.

It IS part of my normal living expenses so it should be included.  However it is also a safety risk if I don't have a battery installed in the smoke detector.  I guess if it was hardwired I wouldn't be having this issue. I DO have a duty of care to the occupants of my home so, here is my question: 

Do I or do I not include the $6.98 battery in my $34 budget?  Should I consult my Accountant? Or, do I just get a life?  lol.

Post from Facebook

Sal

Day 3 - I only have $27.02 left because I had to buy a $6.98 battery for a smoke detector OR could that be seen as an OHS issue and therefore struck off the budget? After all, it IS a safety risk. The fact that it's still sitting on the kitchen bench is irrelevant.

Warren and Lisa like this.

Lisa: Safety issue doesn’t count. Especially since there was publicity from fire brigades about changing the batteries at Daylight Saving (so you could say it was a work related expense?)

David: Yes, I'd try the tax deduction angle as well, but honestly, surely this could have waited until next pay if you are as strapped as you claim to be!!

Sal: Ok, then. So after these comments and a discussion around "the water cooler" in the last few minutes the consensus is that the $6.98 for the smoke detector battery should be omitted from the budget because it's a safety issue?

Sal: Dave: I am not strapped, I am just proving a point to myself. But, yes, you have a point; it COULD have waited till the $34 challenge is over.

Meanwhile I am now on $27.02 and it has now become apparent that I need to think about some rulings.  If any of my readers have suggestions comments are welcome!

Tonight's dinner on a budget from the freezer, fridge and pantry:
Chicken with mushroom gravy with Ribbon pasta (fresh lasagne cut up in strips), Broccolini and Brussel Sprouts.  Also made enough for lunch or dinner tomorrow! Bazinga!


Closing balance after Day 3 - $27.02c.

No comments:

Post a Comment