Thursday, April 21, 2011

The $34 challenge: closure

I've just realised that I have neglected to give my readers closure on the $34 challenge.

At day seven (7) with three (3) days to go and $15 left in the budget I had to do a dash visit to the pharmacy for medication which sadly put me over my budget.

I guess if I hadn't have needed to run off to the pharmacy I would have succeeded in my challenge.  I am fairly confident that I would have survived on $15 for those three days quite easily considering I had my groove on.

So, lessons learnt?  I can survive on a shoe string budget.  BUT, only if you:
Have some lettuce and veggies in your garden.
Have the freezer is stocked
Keep the pantry stocked with of staples
Can use a little imagination with creating meals from literally nothing.
Can do without newspapers and magazines
Have the Internet.

All those things in mind.  I don't have pay TV, the $34 didn't include utilities (gas, water, electricity), nor did it include fuel for the car (I have a fuel card paid through my salary) nor did it include food for the Mentalheads and the Chooks because their welfare is more important than mine and because they cannot just cook up some toast if they are feeling a little "peckish".

I've also learnt that it's nice to have meals out every now and then, but blimey they take a huge chunk out of your wallet!

Has this made me tighten my purse strings?  Hmm, yes and no.  It has made me more conscious of what I am buying.. Do I really need that? Will it improve my lifestyle?  It has made me be smarter with my dollar and has made me make my money work for me, not the other way around.

Am I going to create a household budget?  Because I've never had one before.. Might be time to do a rough budget for utilities, mortgage etc.. But it won't be fish arse water tight, life it far too short for that!

Right, now I am off to lunch with some work mates!  Hmmm, green curry!

That is all!

No comments:

Post a Comment