Friday, February 25, 2011

Bring on the swiss cheese!

To be honest, I was really apprehensive about my latest visit to Dr H.  Frankly I was expecting doom and gloom and took the whole week off work so I could wallow in self pity.

Dad, Aaron and I wonder on down to the Hospital.  This is Dad's first experience with any of my medical appointments.  Mum wasn't able to attend due to a Dr appointment of her own, so she sent Dad instead.  It is also a good opportunity for a Daddy Daughter visit to Bunnings :).  I am only allowed to go to Bunnings with adult supervision otherwise it could get expensive.

Anyway.....

So, we wonder in.. Wait for about half an hour and I help a lady with her bracelet that she can't put on (god alone knows why she thought the doctors waiting area was a good idea to put in on, but, anyway...).

Dr H calls my entourage and I in, introductions are made.. He remembers Aaron and seemed interested in meeting Dad, asked where Mum was and then it was down to business.......

So, I have one additional lesion in a frontal lobe..  However, after my 90 minutes in the tunnel of doom and a syringe of contrast, what lesions I have in my brain are NOT active.  Effectively making my MS stable!  No, but wait, it gets even better!  As a bonus, I do not have any lesions in my spinal cord!  Yay!

The lesions that I have have remained stable, they have not expanded nor have they shrunk.  Apparently lesions could disappear all together.

Technically because I am stable, Dr H sees no point in putting me on Meds because I have not had any other obvious "episodes", which could include numbness down one side of my body, weakness in a limb or another situation as before when I have Optic Neuritis (swelling of the optic nerve resulting in loss of vision)... BONUS!  He however wants to see me if I have another episode and would like to monitor my progress on a six monthly basis.  We had a discussion regarding diet and vitamins.. Which resulted in me giving him a run down of what vitamin suppliments I am on, including 2000 international units (IU) of Vitamin D which most MS patients seem to be lacking.  However, he has insisted on a blood test to check my vitamin levels.

For those interested in what a lesion looks like, I have included some pictures of my brain and circled the obvious lesions in red.




No comments:

Post a Comment