Sunday, July 3, 2011

Familiarity breeds...

OR as I put it... "Learned Incompetence..."

Friday was a big lesson in learning to concentrate on the task at hand.

I drive a pretty fandangled car. It beeps and whistles at (and for) just about anything.  This includes parking sensors, front, back, left and right.  Whilst they are very bloody handy I can also tune out and become complacent.

My bloke had arrived home late Thursday night and parked in the driveway. Friday morning he was reversing out of the driveway so that I could get my car out of the garage to go to work.  He drives a large 4WD ute and sucessfully negotiated the short drive and carefully avoided the garbage bin even with limited vision due to a canopy on the back of the ute..

However, in my fancy schmancy new fangled car I still managed to smack into the garbage bin whilst Bloke watched helplessly from his car on the side of the street and laughed his head off..

Could he see that I was going to hit the bin but was helpless to do anything about it?  Spot on!
Did I see him waving his hands around at me indicating there was an obsticle?  Not a chance..
Did I hear him yelling at me to stop?  Not over the radio I didn't..
Was the car beeping at me to indicate an obstacle in my way?  It sure was.
Did I listen? Not a snowballs chance in hell.
Was there any damage done? Only to my pride!
Did he have every right to get out of the car and laugh his head off at me? My oath!

No comments:

Post a Comment